Configuring an MRV
The MRV provides IP (network) access to serial COM ports, such as PBX Core or MGC TTY's. In a PBX environment, the network side is generally connected to the ELAN data switch - however, before doing this, the MRV needs to be configured.
To configure the LX-4000T MRV for the first time:
1Connect Hyper-terminal to the DIAG port, Port 0 - Values are 9600,8,N, and Xon/Xoff flow control (or NONE).
2The "Main Menu" displays, and the unit starts loading after 8 seconds.
3"... would you like to run Initial Connectivity Setup? y/n" displays. Press y (yes).
4Enter the Superuser password: system.
The Quick Configuration menu displays:
Quick Configuration menu 1 Unit IP address 2 Subnet mask 3 Default Gateway 4 Domain Name Server 5 Domain Name Suffix 6 Cluster Secret 7 Superuser Password 8 Exit and Save Enter your choice:
5Enter the appropriate values for IP address, Subnet mask, and Gateway. Press 8 to Exit and Save.
CONFIGURATION SUMMARY 1 Unit IP address 22.214.171.124 2 Subnet mask 255.255.255.0 3 Default Gateway 126.96.36.199 4 Domain Name Server 5 Domain Name Suffix 6 Cluster Secret 7 Superuser Password Not Changed 8 Exit and Save Is this information correct? (y/n):
6Press y, then Save the configuration to flash memory.
7Press Enter several times to display the Login: prompt. The default login name is InReach, the default password is access
8Enter the following commands at the InReach (password: system) command prompt:
InReach:0 >enable Password: ****** InReach:0 >>config port async 1-16 speed 9600 InReach:0 >>config port async 1-16 no autohangup InReach:0 >>config port async 1-16 no authentication InReach:0 >>config port async 1-16 no authentication outbound InReach:0 >>save config flash .......... InReach:0 >>
Note: At the InReach:0 >> prompt, type setup to re-run the setup utility, eg: to change IP addresses.
Accessing and Configuring the GUI:
To perform this procedure, you need a PC with Java Runtime Environment (JRE) 1.4.2 or later installed. A suitable Java installer is on the supplied CD. You must also have correctly programmed the MRV with the correct IP adresses (as above) before hand.
- In a browser window, type the IP address of your LX-4000T
unit. The LX-Series Console Access page displays.
- Click on the Launch Secure Console button.
- If Java is correctly installed, a Security Warning window displays:
- Accept the Security prompt. The Security Warning window closes.
- Enter your Username and Password, and click Login.
The defaults are username: InReach and password: access.
Using Web Configure Mode
- If you log in as a "user", the following window displays:
- To log in as a "superuser", click the Admin button on the toolbar and enter the default Superuser password: system.
You can now configure the unit via the GUI.
- Click on the menu items on the left side of the window.
For example, selecting Ports: Async opens the Async ports window.
- Configure the Async ports as required.
- Connect the (PBX) TTY's with the special RJ-45 to DB-9 cables, and test.
The MRV is a DTE device, so some null modem adapters maybe required.
To connect to a serial port
Devices connected to serial ports 1-48 on the LX 4048T are assigned Telnet port numbers 2100-6800 by default. The corresponding SSH port numbers are 2122-6822. For example:
Port # Telnet and SSH port numbers Port 1 2100 2122 Port 2 2200 2222 Port 3 2300 2322 Port 4 2400 2422
You can gain Telnet/SSH access to a serial device by using the LX-IP address and default port number of that serial port.
> telnet 188.8.131.52 2100
Note: if you use the standard DOS telnet program in Windows, there is no colon before the port number, in UNIX there is.
To access the CLI port from a terminal attached to a serial port
- Press Return several times to autobaud (if autobaud is enabled) the port and get the Login: prompt.
- Enter your login name (default is InReach).
- Enter your password (default is access).
- The Superuser password default is system.
You'll need a TFPT server, such as PumpKIN, running on your network.
Telnet into your MRV, login as a Superuser, and issue the following command:
> save configuration network <filename> <ip>
A backup file will be placed in the TFPT servers root directory.